View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
rickjames8
EcoModding Lurker

Civic VX - '94 Honda Civic VX
Quote:
I've spent the last 15 minutes or so trying to google the answer, but I can't seem to find any definitive source - just some people who say you can, others who say you can't. I'm curious, but not so much so to search beyond 15 minutes. ;-)
I lied. I was too curious to stop searching.

So the answer is that both are true. You need a licence and you dont need a licence. It depends on the classification of the car. If its a "Light Quadricycle" and you were born before 1988, you don't need anything. However, most modern VSPs are "Heavy Quadricycles" and fall in to a moped category and need a moped licence unless you were born before 1958.

Quote:
Automotive vehicles receive European approval meets the directive 2002/24/EC.

Car without a license or light quadricycle:

Under the legislation a car without a license is "a light quadricycle whose unladen mass is limited by regulation to 350 kg, equipped with a motor 4 kW (5.6 hp) and whose speed is less than 45 km / h ". This vehicle belongs to the category of mopeds and can be driven without a license or with age of the driver.
To drive a car without a license on French territory (Article R221-1 of the Highway Code), it is necessary to be 16 years old and distinguish two cases according to birth date of the driver:

- If the driver was born before 1 January 1988: the driver does not need a license or SRO.
- If the driver was born after 1 January 1988: the driver must hold the BSR option "light quadricycle" or license (motorcycle or car).

The heavy quadricycle:

Under the legislation, the heavy quadricycle to an empty weight limited to 400 kg for vehicles intended to carry passengers and 550 kilograms for the carriage of goods.

The motor must develop a maximum power of 15 kW (about 20 hp). This vehicle is assimilated to the category tricycles and motorcycles.
To drive a heavy quadricycle on French territory it is necessary to have 16 years and to hold licenses least A1, A4, AT, AL, B1 or "traffic license" issued before 1 April 1958. Equivalently all possible A, B, C and D are known.
Taken from: Voitures Sans Permis - Législation