View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #175 (permalink)
Nerys
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
What core issue does this solve ? (I am curious)

my core issue is that my engines can not properly function with ethanol present so they become inefficient and burn way more fuel than needed.

I am not sure how adding oil (another fuel my engine can not properly burn) solves this?

if you mean phase separation that is a rather minor issue actually. most cars use recirculating fuel systems (squirts fuel back to the gas tank) so any separation will simply delay engine ignition for a few cranks as it gets some good gas as sucking up the water/ethanol on the bottom and remixes it with the rest of the fuel.

and contrary to the last post in the other thread its a contradiction in logic to say you can mod an engine to be more efficient on ethanol. this by definition is impossible.

the assumption is that the application of the word efficient is regarding the primary focus of this website. FUEL ECONOMY.

yes ethanol can allow you to generate more "POWER" efficiently (higher octane more compression is possible) but this "ALWAYS" results in more fuel usage and LOWER efficiency regarding miles per gallon for one simple reason. there is simple less ENERGY at your disposal per unit volume with ethanol. so the way you get more power is with an engine that lets you MORE FUEL FASTER.

Funny cars are a great example of this. they run on alcohol and generator GOBS of power. go ask them how quickly they suck down a gallon of fuel to do that :-)

The one thing I have not tried yet is to increase the spark strength since some of us think this is the source of the incompatibility or a large portion of it with ethanol. hotter spark less loss (you would still see the 4-5% loss from the lower energy content but not I hope the 20-30% losses I see)

alas ignitions are very "expensive" :-)