View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #36 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
OK, so how was the drive for the One Gallon Challenge?

The route was about 110 miles with about 15 of that being interstates near Boston. The rest are smaller roads, mostly 2-lane. I did fine following the route for about 21 miles, then missed a critical left turn. Critical because I then drove south alongside a narrow north-south lake, with no detected crossing back to the original route. Approx 40 (!!) miles later I found what town i was in. Reading an old-school map, I planned a workable route and told Garmin to take me to Ware and then towards Sturbridge. Slghtly east of Sturbridge I found an entance to I-90, the Mass Pike. I got on headed east to Boston with a mere (!!!) 60 miles yet to go. Total distance 135 miles.

I had done well on fuel economy prior to getting on the interstate, with the MPGuino showing just under 63 mpg at that point. Traffic had been sparse and I was able to pulse and glide to good advantage. The Civic's aero properties served me well on the Mass Pike and just outside Boston the 'Guino was just under 61 mpg, not bad at all. I had to deal with heavy traffic in Boston and ended up slightly under 59 mpg overall.

Last edited by brucepick; 08-17-2012 at 11:16 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
JethroBodine (08-18-2012)