View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
svt98t
Neutral is my favorite

The Black Pearl - '03 Mercury Marauder 300A
Team Panther

Land Yacht - '08 Lincoln Navigator L Ultimate
90 day: 15.89 mpg (US)

Tank of Justice III - '97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP
Team Panther
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Smile Project: AeroTank

I do a double take everytime I see the term "aero" on this site. Actually, it leads me to believe there's talk about my car.
Point:
In the Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) community, there are 3 main body styles: the Boxes (79-91), Aeros (92-97) and Whales (98-11).
I own an "Aero" bodied Panther. It happens to be the lightest and lowest CdA of all the Panthers. (I was contemplating calling this AeroAero. A squared?)

Time for project details:
I'm have a current best of 28.5 mpg. That's with all the current mods, and no EGR or O2 sensors hooked up.
I would like to hit a solid 30 mpg before winter. I believe with using the hypermiler tips, this would be easily attainable and 35 mpg wouldn't be to far off in the distance.
I'm going to do a baseline run in a few weeks to see what I'm getting now.
Then come the mods.
- Install my power antenna so I can remove the fixed one that sways in the breeze.
- Block out the front end. I have an electric Mk8 fan that pumps out a rediculous 4100 CFM or something near that. (it might be 3800, not sure)
I also have a complete header panel that just got out of paint. So I'd like to take my time and install the weather stripping correctly.
- I have a newer motor waiting to go in. I may wait and swap out the iron block (153 lbs) for an aluminum block (79lbs). The reason is obvious.

- Also, I need to fix my dashboard issue.

I had my key break off in the ignition tumbler. Couldn't get the tumbler out, so I had to break it out. I got my handy EVTM out and hardwired my ignition switch to the dash. Each one of those switches controls one of the 5 points on the switch.
I just want to clean it all up, as it's been over two years since that happened and it needs to be more permenant. But, this does allow EOC.
I would like to get a MPGuino and mount that in the center console as well. Along with vacuum and a tach with add to my voltermeter and put that on the A-pillar.
Eventually, maybe next spring, start working on the under side of the Tank.
Here's the back:

I have lots of room back there, and am highly contemplating moving the exhaust tips up into the rear quarter panel and having them exit out the middle of the rear bumper. (Kinda like some of the race cars have)

This would also allow me to completely block off the entire back end of the car.
A cowl for the wipers also doesn't seem like it would be too far off either.
And a whole slew of LEDs.
Once I fix my VSS gear, I can get the MPGuino and go from there. The only saving grace I have is that my buddy owns a junkyard and I can get some awesome parts for crazy cheap.
I am looking forward to these results and am very excited! This is a new type of project that I haven't done before and am ready to dig in!

Thanks for all the tips and threads. You guys are great.
As soon As I hit 30 mpg, I'm getting EcoModder stickers for the Tank.

Thanks for reading all this.

-ryan s.

2003 Mercury Marauder- 63k, not so fuel efficient; #1,548 of 11,052
2008 Lincoln Navigator L - 244k (don't ask about mpg)