View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #52 (permalink)
MTrenk
Formula SAE Engineer

There's this cool thing in math and science, where you perform a test, and fit the data to a certain type of function.

Is the effect of velocity on drag really exponential (i.e. some constant a to the x power: a^x)? Last time I checked, drag was calculated with relation to velocity squared (v^2).
I haven't come across this 'incremental' type of function. Last time I checked, drag was related to a coefficient, which is a constant, so that would just change the overall magnitude of any point on the graph (change of slope).

Also, the smaller the distance between the bottom of the car and the ground, the greater the aerodynamic effect. (This is something I think I have to start a thread on, because questions have been asked about this, and I have information that will help answer these questions, and help everyone make design decisions about their cars.) Yes 80 mph is unreasonable for good mpg. Could he still drastically increase his mpg through just mods? Yes. Higher speeds increase the effectiveness of aerodynamic modifications.

Should he slow down? - Yes
Should mcrews have gone verbal Jackie Chan on his Texan ass? - No
Should people with low posts be treated differently? - Not unless they belong with the unicorns.
Should some people try to improve their attitude when speaking to others? - lol what to you think?

If all you guys care about is being right, then you should at least speak intelligently, and not throw out a bunch of meaningless pseudomathphysicsgarbage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTrenk For This Useful Post:
CigaR007 (08-25-2012), scivicblu83 (08-30-2012)