View Single Post
Old 08-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspectnumber961 View Post
I've always enjoyed driving and when I could get away with it...driving fast...or at least "crisply".

Now I just see racers a fuel wasters. Enjoy it while you can afford or find the fuel?
Nearly everything fun to do wastes something, at least if you consider enjoyment or pleasure itself to not be worth expending resources on. That being said some hobbies (like yacht racing) tend to be harder than others (go karts). And even if there were arguments about nonrenewable fuels or something, would SVO powered racing make it okay?

One reason for the demise of car culture is overzealous city boards making everything fun illegal. In my town if the same car passes the same strip of land 3 times within 2 hours between friday and sunday you are fined $500 for "cruising" which they made illegal. If you drive 61mph in a 60mph zone the cops fine you for speeding, because your car is red and you are young. If you accidentally chirp the tires because they are thin low traction low rolling resistance tires on your metro and you let the clutch out a little too fast they hit you for demonstrative driving. Put neon under your car and they say it's a distraction to other drivers. Whatever car enthusiasm most people have either deteriorates a few pointless revenue-generating tickets later or turns into the cat and mouse underground racing scene if they get PO'ed.