View Single Post
Old 08-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome! Study the lists of hypermiling tips and mods at the top of this page. None of us will be able to say it better. But here's my list of free and easy first favorites: pump up tires, remove excess weight inside car, slow down your cruise speed on highways to speed limit or somewhat below, shut the car off at lights or stops where you would need to idle for more than 30 seconds. Start a fuel log here at EM; it may help motivate you and it'll help track your progress/challenges and such.

Recirculate AC and cycle it on/off like GRU says (if you use AC at all). When Mythbusters tested the AC vs Windows Open they found that the AC was better than windows fully open at speeds over 50mph (IIRC). But they didn't test one or two inch cracked-open windows. I just crack the windows, without AC. I also sometimes run the fan at low speed. That keeps me "cool" enough on all but the hottest days. But I have always disliked AC, anyway.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 08-26-2012 at 12:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
thomason2wheels (08-26-2012)