View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
Actually to be contrarian for a moment, even if torque kills trannies it also kills axles.

Look at a picture of a 2.29 ring/pinion then look at the tiny spindly little 4.56 ring/pinion... and don't tell me the latter is as strong as the former. It seems you either add weight in the axle or in the transmission, maybe not as much necessarily but it's still not completely simple.
Yes, it kills axles too... but you have the load going through one set of large, continuously meshed gears and some rather stout components (input shaft and axles). Compare your ring and pinion gear to the sprag clutches, clutch packs, etc in your tranny and you'll quickly see a big difference. Plus, these parts are engaging and disengaging instead of in constant contact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsearching View Post
Still with all other things being equal, assuming the trans isn't overloaded, am I wrong in assuming a 1:1 straight through ratio is the ideal? I guess what i'm really wondering is if anyone knows of an efficiency to compare the loss through a 0.50:1 overdrive vs straight through for instance. Just for curiosity's sake to sooth my instincts telling me it's wrong. Or because i'm curious if it's even worth engineering for for an economy project. (numerically low axles and lesser OD ratios)
You have a loss through any gearset. 1:1 allows you to eliminate at least one gearset because you can just lock the input and output shafts together. This would be most efficient if it were your only consideration.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods