View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Cy-Gor
EcoModding Lurker

Maybe we will try this again.

A few of you didn't give me any benefit of the doubt and just jumped to conclusions.

I do realize that i will never get 50mpg at 80mph out of this vehicle. But i do believe i can make some big improvements.

The reason I asked about mods, as I stated before, this truck does 80% of its driving in cruise control. So in general i don't feel that driving style will really make a difference, though i do realize that slowing down WILL make a difference in total MPG.

I realize i was over exaggerating my safety concerns driving through Dallas, though i still feel that with all of the traffic going 80, 60-65 is still somewhat unsafe. The rest of the trip can be done at slower speeds with no concerns for safety.

I also like to design things for what they MIGHT need to do, for a margin of safety/error. So if i can get some improvements at 80 then it will trickle down to lower speeds.

Lastly, why i got this vehicle.

I bought used so I wasnt able to get a vehicle as exact as i was wanting.

I didnt really want the AWD system or some of the other features, but i got a pretty damn good deal and it fits all my needs.

Room for TWO great danes
space to carry full 4x8 sheets of plywood.
length for 10 foot 2x4 and 12 foot steel (though i need the back window open for this)
And strong enough to tow my miata to races when i want to take more than myself to one.
Less than $15k

All of this left me with basically two choices
the suburban/yukon xl or the excursion.

I heard lots of stories about how rough the excursion was on highway trips, and towing was only a partial need. towing the miata was likely to be just 2-3 times a year.

I will start a build thread soon with what can be done and what will get me the most bang for my buck.
Maybe i can get 20mpg at 80MPH, who knows.