View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 06:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,233 Times in 4,659 Posts
roller/flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post
Nice yob. A couple thoughts.

-I would have thought the roller would do more good down in the middle where the tread is hitting the structure during turns.

-Do you have a game plan for returning airflow to the body side or is it just going to dump off like that?

Anyway, I like to see what you've done. This mod is looking easier and easier as more people do it. The Probe should see one in the not too distant future; a local surplus store has a few extra long hinges!

Keep it up.
I experimented with 6-locations for the roller.The final 'highest' position provides just enough wheel-flop clearance at lock-to-lock,without the panel displacing any more than necessary for clearance.
I'd like to do basjoos' double roller setup and will when there's more time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the air extraction,it's an unknown quantity.Since the wheel wells were already a location for engine bay air to escape,I just left the trailing edge of the skirt wide open.
I'm concerned about engine cooling at Bonneville,as she'll be at sustained W.O.T. for quite awhile and this opening is a concession to engine survival.
With the skirt in place,and the wheelhouse rear edge radii underneath,escaping air will be forced to exit parallel to the body sides.It may produce some wind shear right there.The gill slits on the Trans Am Firebird increased drag.It could be the same on the T-100.Hard to measure without a tunnel.
For 'daily-driving' the skirt could be sealed.I'd run them lower,but we have high curbs in Denton,and in the midst of parallel parking there's a risk of tearing them off.
Perhaps,by arresting the transverse air jets which erupt from the open wheelhouse,the skirt will show some net benefit by forcing the flow along the sides.We'll see.