View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Did the government consult consumers?
Did the government consult any technical sources, or was the number pulled from their ignorance? Politicians need to either put more than one toe into the science (and economics) pool, or stay out of the pseudo-sciences altogether.

55mpg is unachievable and undesirable in that time frame. 12 years ago we had the gen1 Insight. Today we have a worse version of that. In the next 12 years there is zero chance of the average vehicle getting 55mpg.

Someone is in bed with a special interest, and they are both getting rich by fooling us that the policy is "for the good of the earth".

Quote:
Originally Posted by christofoo View Post
The real issue is if we stick to CAFE and never implement GHG regs, then farming and industrial sources may go unmodified, which is just plain silly, if environmental protection is the goal.

Even if oil (cost and security) is the goal rather than environmental protection, farming is a very big user, and not regulated by CAFE.
There is no way that artificial (gov't) requirements on mpg or carbon emissions will "help" the environment in the long run. These regulations only serve to stifle our economy (U.S.) while giving a boost to those that do not participate in MGW hysteria.

If an alternate technology is to be developed and adopted, it has to do so based on it's own merits, not on unnatural manipulation of the market.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!