View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
stillsearching
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
But don't forget insurance, taxes, maintenance, repairs and the energy necessary to remember what vehcle needs what.
None of those exceed hundreds of dollars per month in fuel alone to commute with something I can't park downtown without going 9 blocks away in winter. Insurance is like $15-30/month per extra car where I am (maybe because I drive old vehicles like this), were exceptionally low. But twice you've missed the "3 people in house hold, going in three different directions" comment for why i'm going to end up having two anyways and how a 3/4 ton is too tall for in the garage and too long to park outside so there's not much else I can say. :-/ If I move to a different place with parking I will reconsider the recommendation - those early cummins were the first on my list for the 2nd vehicle until I found one 2 inches too tall to fit in the garage.

I might go with a Cummins ENGINE if the money makes itself available, like a 4bt in a Caprice, but the pickup the 6bt comes in naturally will just not work out right now.

In the worst case a third vehicle out at the farm just has to be picked up alot more often from some distance away making it impossible for certain loads to pay for themself even if given for free. :P

Hell I might even put a Caprice station wagon on a pickup frame - I saw someone do that, would be caprice aero and the toughness of the truck chassis rated for those weights. But i'm pretty sure that what i'm sitting in will be a car if I can do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
A 6.2 is the only thing that can burn diesel, SVO, propane/natural gas and alcohol.
Can you expand? Are you referring to running off the other fuels solely? Or was it a clever way of saying a dual tank start on diesel, run on SVO system, with power adders? >_> Will other IDI engines like Mercedes not do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs View Post
Another possibility that I don't think I've seen mentioned: rent a vehicle (e.g., U-haul) for the rare occasions in which more than typical capacity is needed. I'm not sure I understand your scenarios well enough to know if that works for you, but it can work for a lot of people.
It's too much towing to have renting usually pay, and not enough to justify a full time rig. Another part of my ignored argument was wanting to get into SVO fuel as cheaply as possible in the future - a 6.2 swap will pay for itself, the extra $5000 to stick a Cummins in there and get maybe a few more mpg... probably not. Not enough additional fuel savings to break even I mean, within any reasonable future period.