View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Too funny! (PS - if you want, you can embed your YouTube video in the forum just by posting the link in the text of your post.)

If you guys scrounge and are as resourceful as it appears you're trying to be, you'll be able to do this for your budget goal. Don't think you'll get that 50km range though, unless you buy new batts. (Repeating myself... getting old, apparently.)

We ended up spending about $1k total (Canadian dollars) after selling all the bits & pieces we could. Though, yes, it was registered and being driven at the ~$700 mark (net).

Batteries: I don't know if there's an EV club in Melbourne, but we have been running used 6v golf cart batteries - "hand-me-downs" - from other EV owners. At first we tried using returns from commercial floor cleaners from a local company that services them, but then we ended up getting used batteries from EV owners and that worked out much better (similar capacity/condition).

The good thing about other people who build cars that NEED, say, 40-60 km range is that once their batteries can no longer deliver that range, they are deemed worn out and they have to replace the pack. Meaning: we're lucky to have been able to buy batteries at not much more than scrap rates that are effectively only ~40-60% worn out, and still good for 20-40 km range in the ForkenSwift)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget