View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #14 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Regulations in Canada - some more information - VERY LONG POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
The car has a 5 star crash rating. I think the A pillars and windshield are fine for road legal. There are a number of prototypes on the road in the USA, licensed and insured. There are a few different rules in Canada, so it takes time to meet the requirements.

The suspension is actually quite impressive on the WIKISPEED car.

I think that the windshield is a stock item from a Miata - but I don't know which model or which year.
I sent an email to Saskatchewan Government Insurance (I'm in Saskatchewan) and asked what is required to register a kit car here. Here is part of their response. It sounds like it would be much easier to start with a donor car than with a kit car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGI
I see that the WIKISPEED has some crash test information but that they do not speak to the vehicle's ability to meet all the federal safety standards. All modern cars operated on public roads in Saskatchewan are required to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) in effect at the time of manufacture. From the information provided on their website, it looks like the WIKISPEED would not be eligible for registration in Saskatchewan.

Our department is the one that deals with kit cars, most of which are 1930's to 1950's modified vintage cars. Below is some general information on custom types vehicle to help you understand what the requirements are.

HOMEBUILT VEHICLES

In order for a vehicle (manufactured after January 1, 1986) to be eligible for registration and for use on public roads in Saskatchewan it must meet the requirements of both The Vehicle Equipment Regulations, 1987 (http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/En...ns/V2-1R10.pdf) and Schedule IV of the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations - Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) - in effect at the time of manufacture.

SGI will not permit registration of a vehicle with a home built custom frame, fuel systems, steering components, brake systems, occupant protection and restraint systems unless the vehicle has been certified by the manufacturer (through Transport Canada) as CMVSS compliant and it has been subject and passed the physical testing required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations and its attendant Technical Standards Documents and Test Methods.

MODIFIED VEHICLES

SGI may permit the registration of a modified vehicle constructed upon a CMVSS rolling chassis, for example a fibreglass Kit Car body or dune buggy body installed on a full framed donor rolling chassis under certain conditions:

- The completed vehicle must be fully compliant with The Vehicle Equipment Regulations, 1987 (http://www.qp.gov.sk.ca/documents/En...ns/V2-1R10.pdf) and Schedule IV of the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations - Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (CMVSS) - in effect at the time of manufacture (http://www.tc.gc.ca/RoadSafety/Resou...ions/index.htm). Note: SGI will not permit registration of a vehicle with a home built custom frame, fuel systems, steering components, brake systems, occupant protection and/or restraint systems unless the vehicle has been certified by the manufacturer (through Transport Canada) as CMVSS compliant and it has been subject and passed the physical testing required by the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations and its attendant Technical Standards Documents and Test Methods.

- The vehicle's frame systems (only OEM or I-Car energy management and structural repairs are approved), occupant restraint and protection systems (i.e. seats, seatbelts, seat and seatbelt anchorage assemblies and airbags) and fuel systems (i.e. fuel tank and fuel tank placement) are unmodified and the rest of the vehicle meets the minimum safety standards. Any non-OEM approved modifications to CMVSS systems must be accompanied by testing and/or documentation describing the modification and certifying that the modifications have maintained compliance with CMVSS.

KIT CARS

With respect to "Kit Cars", Saskatchewan may permit the registration of a production kit car. Application for the registration of Kit Car is subject to SGI approval on a case-by-case basis. It is recommended that you contact Vehicle Standards & Inspection (VS&I) directly for more information prior to buying, importing or building any kit vehicle. Also, if you are planning on importing a kit car starter chassis, it is recommended that you reference Transport Canada's "Kit Car's in Canada" information on their website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp...00804/menu.htm.

PLEASE NOTE: SGI is unaware of any kit car manufacturer that produces a vehicle that is compliant with the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. To the best of our knowledge, these types of vehicles have not been subjected to the fuel system integrity (CMVSS 301) or the occupant restraint (CMVSS 208) crash testing and vehicle components have not been tested for compliance with the occupant protection (CMVSS 201) standards. There are kit car manufacturers that state that these types of vehicles are for off-road use only and are expressly sold for custom car-building and off-road or closed track racing use only. In the event of collision, this vehicle may not provide it occupants with the same level of protection as a certified production vehicle of the same vintage.
I'm going to read through all of this material a few times. Maybe I'll get some understanding of what is intended, and maybe there is some leeway or interpretation in some of these rules.