View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
The foot location and the space needed for the front wheel movement are a problem when attempting to get the seat as low as posible. The lower the seat the higher the feet are above the riders bum. I don't know how uncomfortable this can be for long rides because all the body weight of the rider is consintrated on the bum.....
Red,

I own a Honda Insight and know first hand that the seat/foot relationship is just about "flat", with the feet not much lower than the "bum" (butt).

So with a tape measure in hand, I just went out a measured as best I could the height difference between the two.

It appears to be about 6 inches give or take.

When I first purchased the car about three years ago, I spent about 1-1/2 months fiddling with the seat inclination, to arrive at a comfortable position for good under-leg support and well as the bum.

I would suspect that on a FF motorcycle, this same adjustability would prove to be important for good long distance travel.

So I'm not sure that the feet being at the same level as the seat would prove to be insurmountable from a comfort standpoint.

I would think that this seating position would immediately prove much more palatable than let's say the typical crouched-over-the-gas-tank riding position I perform now to save gas.

A funny side note: I have been using the "crouched over tank" technique now since 2007, and about two years ago, someone called the cops about a "cyclist maniac speeding on country roads". So here I come traveling at 40 mph down this very country road, when I spot a Sheriff down about 1/4 mile "gunning me" in the crouched position.

Needless to say, he had nothing on me and I crept past and scoped out the situation. About 1/4 mile past I decided to turn around and confirm my suspicion. He alluded, that sure enough someone had called in about me "blasting" on a high speed motorcycle at breakneck speeds. LOL!!!

Moral of story: A FF motorcycle would not attract as much attention!!!

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 09-09-2012 at 11:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
hyper-miler (11-01-2012)