View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Sovereign
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I hope to not offend any prius owners, but where I come from, the prius is a smug mobile so people can "be better for the environment" and because enviro is the new cool.

The people I Know deiving them don't drive them efficiently, they drive like a stop and go switch. I think this is for a stop and go switch set of drivers, most, not for people like us, and the true hyper milers. I mean as one can see, we here can drive other cars more efficiently than that, with worse ratings. Plus, how are those ratings established?
The point of a Prius (I think) is that you don't have to ecodrive to return decent fuel economy. My friends who own them don't drive any different than their last gas cars and get 55MPG (35MPG winter).

The bigger a car gets, the more the person behind the wheel matters. My 2006 Highlander Hybrid is usually blasted as a gas-pig that may get 22MPG if you're lucky. However, my much-altered driving habits get 26 combined (half city, half highway) and 28 city. 35 sustained highway (250 miles), no cruise, 55-60MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yeah, when driven by Troglodytes. Car reviewers are always driving things harder than people "typically" drive.

Right from the horses mouth "But the throws are rather long, and this is far from a close-ratio box, having not one, but two overdrive gears."

It's a complaint that the gearbox isn't fuel-inefficient enough for the reviewers taste. This speaks volumes about how it was driven.

I'd bet some on this forum will be reporting nearly 50mpg after this is released.
This bugs me as well--auto reviewers (I'm looking at you, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Edmunds...) have feet like whales. They then complain that the FE never matches up.