Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
The people I Know deiving them don't drive them efficiently, they drive like a stop and go switch.
That goes for every car.
No matter how efficient they are, if they're driven by binary boneheads the FC won't be spectacular.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
The F150 Ecoboost challenge has shown what the technology can do, I'd love to see PaleMelanesian get his hypermiling hands on one of them.
Me too! That F150 and Fiesta drive showed me one thing, that the current 1.6 Fiesta is good but not great for mileage. We got 63 mpg across the country. Driving home from the airport after that, I drove my Civic the exact same way and got 75 mpg over 150 miles. I'd like to imagine the 1.0 turbo would be equal or better to that.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I think the best power density was the Honda S2000 (I know not a Ford) engine and it was naturally aspirated.
The early-1990s Lotus Elan Sport 300, X180R, and S4 made 300 HP from 2.2 liters, turbocharged.

There may have been other high-boost cars built before the manufacturers decided to address the problem of turbo lag...

Quote:
I wish I was more educated on exact engine functions and parts.
HowStuffWorks "Auto"

-soD
The Following User Says Thank You to some_other_dave For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-11-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh, yeah--I completely forgot about the rotaries!

Mazda RX-7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Between 260 and 280 HP from 1.3 liters, sequential turbos.

-soD
Old 09-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Ford builds sweet 1.0-liter EcoBoost-powered Formula Ford [w/video]

11th-fastest lap ever at the 'Ring. At 7 minutes, 22 seconds

118 miles per gallon... at 35 mph
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Ford is going to put the 1L 125HP ecoboost in the new European Mondeo - Fusion to you guys in the US, though you won't get the 1L by the looks of it.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
1L ecoboost is supposed to be dropped into the EU Focus by end 1Q 2013 for the new year... estimated at 55mpg hiway(EU) spec(US measurement). America wont see the 1L option until 2014, if were lucky..

55mpg in the larger focus seems fair, +1 for the fiesta, 60mpg should be reachable without much effort given (power:weight) and double over-drive.

With Old_Mechanic on this one, this 1L should of been the standard for the fiesta if i had a say so myself. This ecoboost with avaliable 123hp, compared to the 1.6L 4banger of 120hp only makes sense to have something smaller considering the output.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

RAV4 - '16 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
90 day: 35.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
I hope to not offend any prius owners, but where I come from, the prius is a smug mobile so people can "be better for the environment" and because enviro is the new cool.

The people I Know deiving them don't drive them efficiently, they drive like a stop and go switch. I think this is for a stop and go switch set of drivers, most, not for people like us, and the true hyper milers. I mean as one can see, we here can drive other cars more efficiently than that, with worse ratings. Plus, how are those ratings established?
The point of a Prius (I think) is that you don't have to ecodrive to return decent fuel economy. My friends who own them don't drive any different than their last gas cars and get 55MPG (35MPG winter).

The bigger a car gets, the more the person behind the wheel matters. My 2006 Highlander Hybrid is usually blasted as a gas-pig that may get 22MPG if you're lucky. However, my much-altered driving habits get 26 combined (half city, half highway) and 28 city. 35 sustained highway (250 miles), no cruise, 55-60MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yeah, when driven by Troglodytes. Car reviewers are always driving things harder than people "typically" drive.

Right from the horses mouth "But the throws are rather long, and this is far from a close-ratio box, having not one, but two overdrive gears."

It's a complaint that the gearbox isn't fuel-inefficient enough for the reviewers taste. This speaks volumes about how it was driven.

I'd bet some on this forum will be reporting nearly 50mpg after this is released.
This bugs me as well--auto reviewers (I'm looking at you, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Edmunds...) have feet like whales. They then complain that the FE never matches up.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #29 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
The point of a Prius (I think) is that you don't have to ecodrive to return decent fuel economy. My friends who own them don't drive any different than their last gas cars and get 55MPG (35MPG winter).
This is my point, I think, from then. Making cars super efficient matches other cars driven efficiently. From the people I have met with Prii, they are smug bugs about the "environment" and fuel economy. But often they only show this in their cars. An ex of mine a few years ago knew a few people with them. No recycling, no compost piles. But their cars saved the world...

Now of course, this is not all Prius owners. But when I am doing 69 in a 65, and ANOTHER Prius blows past me on the highway, I have to wonder why these people bought these cars.

As not all Prius owners are smug bugs, very few Mustang owners drive for fuel efficiency. I recently joined a Mustang forum, and in one thread people were talking about efficient driving. The suggestion for efficiency was only shifting at 2000 rpms! I would go days without going that high if I didn't need the interstate.

So my point is, all drivers are different, and cars aren't always a reflection on the owner. But if your foot is an on and off switch rather than a careful, sensitive, tool, then maybe one should be in a vehicle that effortlessly is efficient. From this fuel efficient Mustang to all the 80+ mph Prii out there

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
Intermediate EcoDriver

Trigger - '07 Ford Mustang V6 Premium Coupe
Team Mustang
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.76 mpg (US)

Big Red (retired) - '89 Ford F-250 4wd Custom
90 day: 18.13 mpg (US)

Big Red II - '13 Ford F-150 FX4
Pickups
90 day: 19.61 mpg (US)
Hybrid = enabling people to achieve good fuel economy despite their driving style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguitarguy View Post
Just 'cuz you can't do it, don't mean it can't be done...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
The presence of traffic is the single most complicating factor of hypermiling. I know what I'm going to do, it's contending with whatever the hell all these other people are going to do that makes things hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang Dave For This Useful Post:
UltArc (09-18-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread