View Single Post
Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Cd and blunt front ends

I'm bringing up an old topic again due to my lack of understanding on something :

How can a car with a flat front end attain the same .Cd as one shaped like a bullet ?

I would guess that due to the increased pressure* at the front of the object with a blunt front end, that the object would have a higher drag.
Apparently this is not the case though.

*( I'm assuming that when air piles up upon itself it creates pressure ... which I again assume creates drag. )

I keep looking back at the Hot Rod Camaro, which had a .201 .Cd using nothing more than a flat piece of metal as a grill block and a small spoiler modification.

It would be hard for us to match that .Cd figure even with our 'jelly bean ' cars, yet these guys did it without even trying ( no belly pan, wheel skirts, extended nose cones / boat tails /..... etc.

The article stated that they tried a huge windshield extention to 'lay back' the angle of the windshield, yet it did nothing to lower the .Cd in the wind tunnel.

Please explain how that this can be.

Perhaps I should contact the folks at the A2 wind tunnel ( the testing took place there ) and ask them these questons.

Wouldn't that be cool if we could get one them onto this forum to answer some of our questions ?

Last edited by Cd; 06-08-2008 at 11:10 PM..