View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Greetings,

Quote:
Cool. So, what's the next step?
Quote:
Very interesting, but I'm not sure what you are making here. There don't appear to be any points of attachment, or even any place for the structure to go. I see a couple of wheels. Is this a full size mockup for a wind tunnel?
After I cut the rest of the sections, and glue them all together, the whole things has to get shaped -- the outside first and the inside afterward, if I can figure out how to get in there without doing damage. The foam is pretty sturdy after it has been glued together. Otherwise, I'll buy a windshield and dry fit it, and then cut out the side windows, shape the wheel openings and fit the skirts to them. Then fiberglass the outside, then shape the inside. Then fiberglass the inside -- which could be a real challenge?

Then the foam wheels get cut off -- they are just place holders so I can see the car as it will be sitting on the road. Reinforcing gussets and plates and anchor points (and possible front subframe?) get cut into the foam inside the motor bay and the rear wheel wells. It is likely the battery bays will need long metal box channels inserted in them, to stiffen the structure. Floor panels need to be constructed and fitted.

My intention is to use the foam as the core in a full composite sandwich monocoque structure. It will double as thermal insulation, which is a second very important function.

Then real wheels and suspension will have to be installed -- likely the front can be from a typical front wheel drive car. The rear will probably have to be custom made to fit and work within the spaces I have designed.

Another major area of work will be the hinges for the main hatch door and the two small rear doors, and the front wheel skirts. The hood could be hinged, or it could just be bolted in place with quarter-turn fasteners along the edges.

Then the windshield and the side windows (which I want to have two layers of glazing) can be installed. The windshield will come from a Smart ForTwo, along with the wiper system (so if I can find a rear-ended Smart, then it could also provide the VIN).

Then a driver's seat needs to be constructed and installed -- Dick Horowitz is looking into this for me. And a steering wheel and steering system -- I hope to find a way to use manual steering, or worst case electric assist steering. This will need to be connected to the front wheel skirts, as well.

At this point I will have a rolling chassis! My hope is to get to this point in a year or so.

Then the BIG step is to install a battery pack and drivetrain, and all the support systems like the charger and battery management and motor(s) controller. This will end up as a full working prototype, that I can test in the real world. This will be the lion's share of the expense, but if I have a working rolling chassis, I think there will be plenty of financial support.

++++

Plan B is to use this as a mold for FRP panels around a tube steel chassis, as I seriously contemplated early on in the design process. The foam is something I am able to produce though, using the PhlatPrinter 3 CNC machine, and so I decided to do it the way I am, unless and until it becomes structurally unworkable. Doing this requires serious fabrication and welding skills, and doing the foam will provide a critical full 3D form to follow.

++++

I may still make a more accurate quarter scale model for wind tunnels testing -- it would awesome to be able to say "It has a Cd of 0.XX", but it is also very important to test it full size in the real world. Crosswinds on the actual car with the actual Cg and actual conditions are important hurdles; and the actual performance on the road is the only way to really know how it will work.

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/