View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
The short Kamm is really messing things up IMO, you can see the tufts close to the top in front are angled up a lot, you really don't want that. Also the tufts on the trailing edge are pointed out. This looks to me like you have set up a tornado like vortex...
Leading edge behavior:

The forward row yellow tufts are taped to the original roof; some at center front are indeed angled up. That's original Honda design territory.

The second row yellow tufts are taped to the tape that holds down the Kamm's leading edge. The Kamm panel's leading edge is lifted up approx 1/4" as the tape's bond to roof is not perfect.

At center of that (second) row of tufts you can clearly see a tuft firmly sucked down against the Kamm panel, down against the tape. This is after the forward part of that tuft is lifted, either due to some separation caused by the raised forward edge of the Kamm panel - or - due to separation forward of the panel, ultimately reattaching at that point.

Also note:
The side panels bulge out from car body 1/2" or maybe more, this is a design and execution error. I'm sure this is the reason for some of the turbulence at and near the sides. Next version, if built, will use thinner material for side panels, and trimmed smaller so they can be located closer in to car's center line.

My purpose in writing this, only to share a few details maybe not immediately apparent.

My purpose in tuft testing:
To learn whether flow is attached to this panel. If attached, l can rebuild with a 10" longer panel, and the sides can be improved as I described above.

Last edited by brucepick; 09-16-2012 at 10:18 PM..