View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Interesting about that lean burn mode! Probably factory disabled for emissions reasons (raised NOX). The 1st gen Insight handles the emissions question with an additional (read: expensive) catalytic converter for handling NOX. At cruise, the car drops out of lean burn every few minutes to purge the stored NOX and catalyzes it with a richer mixture for a few seconds.

Quote:
90% just maintaining that 55MPH
Definitely aero mods for you, then. As far as getting good MPG, that sounds pretty close to an ideal driving environment. Lots of moderate speed cruising.

And definitely get yourself that resettable MPG gauge. Makes this much more fun than messing with a laptop (unless it lives in the car, permanently mounted!).

As for over-riding the OEM torque converter logic, I'm SURE there are people here who would love to know more about this! We've got one thread here (maybe more) about hacking an auto transmission to electrically take control of the torque converter ( http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tch-10028.html ), but if it's not hard to do it electronically, that would be another great option.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget