View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #36 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
I wouldn't worry that much about the acceleration, as long as you're not sitting in low gears revving the crap out of the engine excessively or accelerating extra slow.

Using slightly less gas to accelerate is easily offset by accelerating more than you need to and having to slow down more. I have a 1ZZ and on paper it looks like I should shift at over 3000 for max efficiency. However if I actually do this, in traffic I can be going way too fast by the time I'm shifting out of 1st. My strategy is, if there's no traffic and no lights ahead, give it the beans rev up a bit past 3k. The greater the likelihood that I need to slow down, the earlier I shift to 2nd. Since the engine is typically okay with just idling along in a high gear (makes knocking sounds and vibrations if you give it throttle though :O) if my speed is under 25mph I just drop it straight into 3rd or 4th and downshift as needed. Good for practicing fine throttle control on rev matches too.

Also I noticed you asking about how many seconds between shifts. If I'm understanding that correctly, don't wait between shifts, shift as fast as you can and avoid idling and revving the engine back up. This "transient" operation burns some non-trivial amount of fuel.

If you really want solid numbers though, your B18C1 (correct?) is pretty close in preliminary specs as the 1ZZ engine. I don't know what your gear ratios are but I think shifting at maybe a little over 3000 will give the highest efficiency.

By the way, I'm SO jealous of your rev limit and power.

Last edited by serialk11r; 09-19-2012 at 12:03 AM..