View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
DoctorM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Do you have a source for that graph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
That is a great website. Thanks for the link.

The graph you displayed is for multiple years. I filtered for 2012 and got the following graph.

I looked at several of the individual contributor data and believe a valid statistical conclusion (although I did not do a statistical correlation calculation) is that the higher mileage is strongly associated with highway driving, and the lower mpg is strongly associated with city driving. The bar chart also has what appears to be a bi-modal appearance, explained by city versus highway driving. It is what we would expect.

The highest mileage reported (27mpg) was a vehicle in Malaysia. I would throw that one out for comparison, as the vehicle probably does not have any of the emission controls that we have in the US. However, it might be indicative of what was possible without all the EPA emission mandates.

I did nor see any data on type of gasoline used. You can't make any valid statistical conclusion about E10 without that. And you should not make such an assumption.

I have yet to do any significant highway driving. The most is along a 15 miles stretch of freeway on US 290 and I-35 going to downtown Austin, much of it in heavy commuter traffic, often slowing to five mph or less.

So I'd have to conclude that for my driving pattern, primarily heavy city driving, the mileage isn't statistically so unusual. And being a new engine, might also be a significant factor. We'll see if improvement continues.

Again, thanks for the link.