Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Ron this is a fraud mod, it does not work, people add it to their tanks then stop abusing the gas pedal, then claim the acetone did it. A common problem with the amateurs that set out to prove their pet theories.
I don't think you can legitimately discount it without testing it yourself -- that is just unscientific. If someone reported getting good results with it, it would be extreme hubris on your part to summarily dismiss it.

I do agree that testing in a vehicle is difficult because it is near impossible to control for all the factors. It would be much better to test the efficacy of acetone (or anything else) using an engine hooked up to a dynamometer, where all the variables could be controlled.

In the article I read, the findings reported it only worked in older vehicle, and not in newer vehicles. I may be wrong, but I believe the tests did not include E10 gasoline. If so nothing could be said of it until it was tested with E10 fuel.

In any regard, any idea is worth testing

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #72 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
It has been tested to death in all honesty.
You may be reluctant to search the unicorn corral but that is where you can find some trustworthy information from ecomodders who can and do test objectively.
Just saying its already been put to the test and it failed with flying colors , so i am amiss at your attempt at making acetone a worthy test subject, perhaps you do not realize it has been proven bunk, well it has and it is.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #73 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Do you have a source for that graph?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
That is a great website. Thanks for the link.

The graph you displayed is for multiple years. I filtered for 2012 and got the following graph.

I looked at several of the individual contributor data and believe a valid statistical conclusion (although I did not do a statistical correlation calculation) is that the higher mileage is strongly associated with highway driving, and the lower mpg is strongly associated with city driving. The bar chart also has what appears to be a bi-modal appearance, explained by city versus highway driving. It is what we would expect.

The highest mileage reported (27mpg) was a vehicle in Malaysia. I would throw that one out for comparison, as the vehicle probably does not have any of the emission controls that we have in the US. However, it might be indicative of what was possible without all the EPA emission mandates.

I did nor see any data on type of gasoline used. You can't make any valid statistical conclusion about E10 without that. And you should not make such an assumption.

I have yet to do any significant highway driving. The most is along a 15 miles stretch of freeway on US 290 and I-35 going to downtown Austin, much of it in heavy commuter traffic, often slowing to five mph or less.

So I'd have to conclude that for my driving pattern, primarily heavy city driving, the mileage isn't statistically so unusual. And being a new engine, might also be a significant factor. We'll see if improvement continues.

Again, thanks for the link.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #74 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
It has been tested to death in all honesty.
You may be reluctant to search the unicorn corral but that is where you can find some trustworthy information from ecomodders who can and do test objectively.
Just saying its already been put to the test and it failed with flying colors , so i am amiss at your attempt at making acetone a worthy test subject, perhaps you do not realize it has been proven bunk, well it has and it is.
You mistake my question for advocacy. I merely ask the question, because written reports indicate it was efficient at certain concentrations (2% to 5%) after which it was counter productive. And it was reported that it was only efficient in older vehicles, not in newer vehicles. If it has been tested and reported on this website, I will eventually get around to reading them.

As someone here has pointed out, a tester could bias the results either way by subconsciously (or consciously) running a heavy or light foot on the accelerator. Until it is properly tested in a controlled engine on a dynamometer, the issue should be left open.

Try not to get so emotionally involved in the issue.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Ill point out the elephant in the room. If you're not convinced, go test it. You keep saying it only worked in older vehicles but you drive a brand new truck. Either way, you're driving a truck, obviously FE is not a high priority for you. Car+trailer would be much more logical.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #76 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
I do believe that new engines are assembled with better tolerances than the engines of old and don't need the break-in period as older engines did, (rounder bores,low friction bearings etc) if you want to check for mechanical drag pull the plugs take it out of gear and turn that sucker over by hand, if you have a problem you'll know it
Old 09-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #77 (permalink)
Drive less save more

Dusty - '98 VOLKSWAGEN Beetle TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 60.42 mpg (US)
Quote:
Try not to get so emotionally involved in the issue.
Quote:
My brother drives a Cadillac. What the f ck is it to you?
That's what he likes, and the Nissan is what I like!
Get my drift? I don't give a sh t about what you think about it.
You got some technical information, I'm all ears, but otherwise keep your personal opinion to yourself, unless I ask for it.
What attracted me to this site were the discussions on E10 and ways to test it and remove it. I'm all ears for those experimenting with this. But I have no tolerance for eco-freak opinions on the matter.

If the eco-freaks were in charge, we'd all live in an extra-dense high-rises, and walk or ride a bicycle everywhere.
I am more amused at your ignorance then emotionally involved as you would suggest.

Your credibility is nil

Last edited by ecomodded; 09-22-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #78 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I am more amused at your ignorance then emotionally involved as you would suggest.

Your credibility is nil
I'm more amused at your emotional attachment to your pronouncements.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #79 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
Ill point out the elephant in the room. If you're not convinced, go test it. You keep saying it only worked in older vehicles but you drive a brand new truck. Either way, you're driving a truck, obviously FE is not a high priority for you. Car+trailer would be much more logical.
So much emotional baggage here.

I just mentioned what I read -- to see if anyone here had tried it. I don't have an emotional stake in it as some of you apparently do.

As has already been pointed out, putting it in a vehicle subjects the result to tester bias - pro or con. Until its tested in an engine on a dynamameter, it remains a candidate for further consideration.

Try not to get so emotional about it - it calls into question your impartiality.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.61 mpg (US)
Google is my friend. I searched with parameters as follows: site:ecomodder.com acetone

And got over 500 hits. I skimmed a couple dozen, and did not find any valid ABA tests of acetone.

I suggest that the OP work on his driving skills until he can average over 20 MPG, then do a test of acetone himself while following the recommendations in this thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ery-11445.html

This is ECOMODDER.com, not ECO-somebody-else-do-it.com

06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
Mustang Dave (09-22-2012), Spdmini (09-22-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
add acetone, add diesel, removing ethanol