View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Our family drove only Volvo 240's for 13 years! We owned six and our two grown children still have two of the six. I did much of the work on them, including some ecomodding on my 2nd 245 wagon.

What transmission do you have? Standard 4 spd? with electric overdrive? Automatic? With electric OD? Important question.

Yes an electric radiator fan is an EXCELLENT project for these cars. Even with no fuel economy gauge I was able to see the improvement. My new fan came from a junked 960 with dead engine (very common, sorry to say). Will also give your engine more available power to move the car. Important: put the fan's temp switch in the LOWER radiator hose. Set it for 10-20 deg F lower than your thermostat temperature. I tested upper and lower hose locations with different switching temperatures, and that is the way to go. Lower hose.

Try 45 psi in your tires. I think 50 was too much in my car but you might try it. You won't pop the tire; the bursting point is at least 2x or 3x what is imprinted on the tire.

Kamm extension for back is a good idea. Clear plastic, after you test design using easier materials.

I built an extension for front air dam. New air dam bottom edge was about 7" (175 mm) from road surface. AND I put in a flat board going from that, to meet the original plastic belly pan. I believe this helped a lot. Search in ecomodder.com on my name and "Volvo 240" and "air dam" or "belly pan". I did post some stuff on that.

Last edited by brucepick; 09-28-2012 at 11:05 AM..