View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev99saturn View Post
I have considered blocking the oval grill area with a sheet of clear lexan, just on the inside of the body opening.
That would help. Grille blocking is a well understood & proven drag reduction technique - better to send air around the relatively smooth body of the car than through the torture chamber of the motor compartment, only to spill into the aerodynamically "dirty" wheel wells & vehicle underside.

As you say, make sure to leave enough of an opening for controller cooling.

Quote:
Another (possibly dumb) thought would be to put flat sheet under the car, covering as much of the length and width as is reasonable. Would that help reduce air friction and improve wh/mi?
Definitely. Ever seen the bottom of an EV1? Even better if you're also able to gradually taper upward at the rear.

If you've got some lexan, also consider making some disc wheel covers. (Attachment method is the tricky part.)

Quote:
I also thought about trying to tilt the windshield back a little, as I do have a bit of room to play there.
That will probably also help, depending on the current angle. Is it flat glass? Some of these old roadster designs had such a sharp angle between the cowl & glass that they created a "bubble" of recirculating air at the base of the windshield. No modern car does that anymore. Raking the windshield will also slightly reduce the frontal area which helps too.

Not to discourage you, but keep in mind we're talking about mods that may make a few percent here & there.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget