Thread: "Stuck" clutch
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
"Stuck" clutch

The other day I did something stupid. 99.9% of my driving around here is on flat and level ground. The other day I was driving a route that I don't normal ly take and stopped at a stop sign at the top of a steep grade. Without thinking, I let out the clutch with it still in 3rd gear (dumb move!) It grumbled and rattled and let out a plume of black smoke, but then it seemed to take off okay. That is until I went to shift down for the next turn. I put in the clutch all the way and it clearly was still in gear. I pulled over and turned the truck off. At that point, I could shift just fine. I put it in 2nd, pushed the clutch in, and started it. It started really slow and was clearly still in gear even though the clutch was in. As soon as I took my foot off the brake it started moving. When moving, there was no way to shift--it wouldn't come out of gear. So I shut if off and tried starting in in different gears.

Eventually it started normally and has driven perfectly normal for several weeks now. It seems to me like the clutch was "stuck"--even though the pedel seemed to feel perfectly normal. And then for some reason, it came "unstuck" and has been fine since.

What I'm wondering is, is there anything I should check to make sure everything's okay. The truck's got almost 100k on it, and this made me kinda nervous, but I'm not sure it's worth tearing into if it's acting fine now.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 10-01-2012 at 07:20 PM..