Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
"Stuck" clutch

The other day I did something stupid. 99.9% of my driving around here is on flat and level ground. The other day I was driving a route that I don't normal ly take and stopped at a stop sign at the top of a steep grade. Without thinking, I let out the clutch with it still in 3rd gear (dumb move!) It grumbled and rattled and let out a plume of black smoke, but then it seemed to take off okay. That is until I went to shift down for the next turn. I put in the clutch all the way and it clearly was still in gear. I pulled over and turned the truck off. At that point, I could shift just fine. I put it in 2nd, pushed the clutch in, and started it. It started really slow and was clearly still in gear even though the clutch was in. As soon as I took my foot off the brake it started moving. When moving, there was no way to shift--it wouldn't come out of gear. So I shut if off and tried starting in in different gears.

Eventually it started normally and has driven perfectly normal for several weeks now. It seems to me like the clutch was "stuck"--even though the pedel seemed to feel perfectly normal. And then for some reason, it came "unstuck" and has been fine since.

What I'm wondering is, is there anything I should check to make sure everything's okay. The truck's got almost 100k on it, and this made me kinda nervous, but I'm not sure it's worth tearing into if it's acting fine now.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 10-01-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I'd leave well enough alone. Something wasn't happy with the forces you put on it, but it sounds like the "range of motion" exercises you gave it managed to slap everything back into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
is it the original clutch? was the engine hot when it happened? sounds like the clutch disc maybe froze in between the flywheel and pressure plate due to the extra torque. maybe from heat? i would go on the same hill again but this time pull out normally in 1st and see if it acts up again. if not i would keep driving it
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
is it the original clutch? was the engine hot when it happened? sounds like the clutch disc maybe froze in between the flywheel and pressure plate due to the extra torque. maybe from heat? i would go on the same hill again but this time pull out normally in 1st and see if it acts up again. if not i would keep driving it
It is the original clutch--at least as far as I know. I bought the truck with 70k on it. Truck wasn't hot at all--had been running less than 5 minutes. I've gone over the hill several times now in 1st and everyhing has been fine.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 10-01-2012 at 07:20 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pantry Boy Supreme (pbs) - '04 Volvo S80 T6 Premier
slave cylinder may have been jared to a point were it stuck engaged, but once you pumped and shifted multiple times it worked loose?

my 95 firebird 3.4L T-5, clutch and slave cylinder needs to be replaced because of the same events... clutch had been replaced before but the slave cylinder is original(140k mi) debating on cable attached clutch this time around
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
Then like fat Charlie said I'd keep on going. If it does it again under normal driving situations then it's time.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
ron
Master EcoModder

double eagles - '99 Dodge ram slt
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.48 mpg (US)
D.D. Sorry to hear about your trouble. Your Truck should have an inspection cover below the bell housing and in front of the trans ,pull the cover before the weather changes, a strong flashlight will help you see the damage! measure the clutch thickness . you may have just saved yourself a few $ and a tow job. The former owner more than likely started the problem and now you have found it. keep us posted

Reply  Post New Thread