View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #81 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
The fluid that comes with it is about the thinnest you can safely run in it and is pretty well regarded. I think the problem just comes from everything being cold - I usually upshift to 2nd around 1500RPM and as soon as I push in the clutch, the engine goes right to 2000RPM.

All of our Fords seem to do this They have all gone back to the dealer for it and Ford just says it's normal to heat up the cats quicker.

I'd love to be able to do a block heater, but I'm an apartment dweller and it's not an option at this point. I have been looking into alternate methods of doing a battery powered heater ... but the intiial investment of a few deep-cycle batteries and a high powered inverter would negate any fule savings (and run up my electric bill).
Is it synthetic or dino-squeezings?

There is a huge difference between conventional and synthetic oils at cold temperatures. The viscosity ratings are at operating temperature (about 212°F) and regardless of synthetic or conventional, the same grade oil will have the same viscosity. However, as temperatures decrease, conventional oils will get much thicker than synthetics, even if they are the same grade.

If you can convert to synthetic, I'm sure you will notice a big improvement in cold weather.

Relevant page from BobIsTheOilGuy:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-104/

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods

Last edited by darcane; 10-03-2012 at 04:17 PM..