View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #81 (permalink)
turbothrush
EcoModding Apprentice

2 x wrecked vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a8ksh4 View Post

Seems that I will need ~3 gallons of resin for this, given it's size. What's the best way to do the seams where sheets of cloth meet? The cloth is about 3' wide, so I'll have several seams along the shell. Should I sand the foam a little lower where the sheets meet so there isn't a rise that I have to body-fill around? That makes sense to me...
What weight is your cloth?
When I did my camper I didin't find the overlap any problem but that is with 2 or 3 layers of 6 oz cloth. With 6 oz. cloth it is hard to tell where the overlap is. If your going for a nice final finish you are probably going to skim the outside with a filler anyway.

I suppose strips of peelply or nylon fabric would help in holding the seems down if they are a problem but I would try just overlaping the cloth an inch or two first.

Also just fiberglassing the outside and not glassing the inside may be ok for some coast-down testing or whatever but I would glass both sides to get the full benefit of the foam which is just the core to separate the the 2 skins of fiberglass.

skyking started a thread I found earlier that may be helpful for glassing mostly flat areas. But I guess your project is mostly compound.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yup-20811.html

Thanks for posting your progress

Last edited by turbothrush; 10-05-2012 at 08:59 AM..