View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
The LED lights are indeed blinking. Definitely when they use the same lights for taillights and brake lights; those are practically all done by blinking the LEDs at a lower rate until the brake lights are supposed to come on, then putting them on solid. Or at least putting them on a higher duty cycle while the brake lights are on.

My wife seems to have a lower persistence of vision than most of us; the LED taillights drive her crazy. I can see them in my peripheral vision, or when I'm very tired.

Cadillacs seem to be the worst for blinking to me.

-soD
Yes, I have noticed the Cadillac's as well.

I read an article about light perception of the "eye-brain" connection several years ago, and it went on to say that quickly blinking lights are perceived more quickly by the brain than solid lights.

They actually did studies to determine that a on/off frequency of around 100 to 200 Hz makes this effect more noticeable.

I have no idea what frequency the Cadillac lights are run at, but they certainly grab your attention.

The article did not mention it, but I suppose one could get an energy savings by reducing the duty-cycle of the lights while pulsing them.

Jim.