View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #244 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
Be careful as this can blow the computer in some cars... each time you turn it off then on that way there is an electrical punch to that circuit which is like flexing a metal wire back and forth... eventually, SNAP!

As a famous canine once said, "Rutt Row, Raggy!"

As for the belt removal... yes, some can remove, but others may not realize that by trying to do so they can damage their car.

As for the increased number of batteries to replace the alternator... doesn't the added weight kinda defeat the purpose? Just my ignorance falling out one side of my head there... but I'd really like to hear the thoughts on this.
I have been running an alt cut-off switch on my car for 14 months now, maybe 15,000 miles, and the ECU is fine. I think brucepick might have created confusion in how he described what he is doing. I don't think he has disengaged the heavy gauge power-supply wire from the alt to the batt. Like me, he has, I think, disabled only the signal wires that turn the alt on. Like him, I have a dash mounted switch. I recommend it.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.