View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #246 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipstick View Post
Be careful as this can blow the computer in some cars... each time you turn it off then on that way there is an electrical punch to that circuit which is like flexing a metal wire back and forth... eventually, SNAP!

As a famous canine once said, "Rutt Row, Raggy!"

As for the belt removal... yes, some can remove, but others may not realize that by trying to do so they can damage their car.

As for the increased number of batteries to replace the alternator... doesn't the added weight kinda defeat the purpose? Just my ignorance falling out one side of my head there... but I'd really like to hear the thoughts on this.
I could foresee some issues if switching while engine is running - though I think California98Civic has been doing that for some time, via the control harness wire(s). In my case I only switch it with engine off.

Alt output cable is switched where it meets battery. I open/close switch only when engine is not running. I disconnect and reconnect the alternator control wires harness at the same time. Built system Mar 2012, about 18,000 miles driven since then. Battery capacity covers a range of about 3 hours with headlights on so I haven't needed the alt since maybe July.

Weight: removed OEM battery, about 25-30 lb. Added 16 lb lithium and 60-65 lb lead acid. Net increase about 51 lb. Would be more of an issue if I did much city driving. However instead, I "invest" fuel to build momentum and then it coasts longer due to added mass. If I don't brake I don't lose my investment of fuel that built the momentum. If acceleration is the game it would be an issue but I'm not afraid of a bit of weight when driving for mpg. I drive car pool too, that adds about 175 lb!

Last edited by brucepick; 10-13-2012 at 09:34 PM..