View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #247 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
I could foresee some issues if switching while engine is running - though I think California98Civic has been doing that for some time, via the control harness wire(s). In my case I only switch it with engine off.
You got it right, bruce. But I don't do this a lot. Generally it is off for the trip, or on for most of a trip, depending on distance. I have not yet encountered any difficulties with the ECU. Maybe it's worth noting that the ELD in these Civics already varies the voltage quite a lot, when operating normally. Under certain conditions with the alt running you see instantaneous jumps from 12.5-14.xx--with amperage jumps too, I think--and all of it regulated by the ECU as Honda designed it. So it seems logical to me that manually switching from a scenario of 12.5 volts to 14.xx shouldn't pose problems. But I am neither an engineer nor a mechanic. I just own a Civic that I hack-up and repair as best I can.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.