View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Glad to hear you're nearly done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
What are people's opinions on whether the position of a subpack in the pack will affect it's performance? Someone suggested this in another thread, I didn't think it would make much difference but I did notice that the two weakest subpacks are located dead center in the pack, which might subject them to more heat. Of the other three subpacks located in the center of the battery, two had good initial discharge and ultimate capacity, one was fair. Does anyone have any data from cycling another pack that might back this theory up?
My picture doesn't match yours, as far as location vs. capacity:

In my pack there appears to be a trend from best to worst discharge capacity based on row (on average, best at the top, worst at the bottom). But I wouldn't conclude this is a design fault without confirming with data from other peoples' packs.

from Post #91 in http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post285012

Quote:
Second question: Once I'm done with this process, some subpacks will have been sitting idle for almost two weeks, I was thinking it would be a good idea to top off each subpack before reassembly. Using the Superbrain to do this, would it make more sense to use the charge function or the trickle charge function? Any recommended settings?
In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it matters. I'd do it quickly, otherwise you'll be perpetually "topping off" your sticks before reinstalling them. (They self-discharge fairly quickly.)

Quote:
A few times I have noticed cells making a sort of popping/hissing noise during charging, usually towards the end of the charge cycle.
I didn't hear any of mine doing that! (Not that they didn't - I had multiple fans running all the time.) My gut tells me to be wary of those subpacks. If you don't get any replies from the experts here, I'd definitely search or post that question on insightcentral.

Once the pack is back in the car, heed Mr Small's advice: put the pack on a regular grid-charge trickle regimen. And periodically exercise the pack vigorously (full assist to "empty", full regen to "full") to help keep the subpacks from getting lazy & weak.

Looking forward to the next update.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget