View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 04:30 PM   #255 (permalink)
AndrzejM
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
But the pump's flow doesn't have to be the same, in fact most of the time it can be less, for example during warmup. Also, at higher engine rpms the water flow isn't greater, since the pump just starts cavitating, losing energy with no gains.

The speed of an electric pump can be regulated as needed - it depends on engine load & temperature, not rpms.
I wasn't talking that flow have to be constant, I was saying that it should be similar to original flow.
I agree that electric pump has advantages over mechanical one, but I'm sure that factory, regardles of the car make spent enough money to do it right.
I can't agree that limited flow during warmup is a good idea though. It's best in my opinion to warm up engine as even as it's possible and limited flow works against it. I think that higher flow would be better to warm up engine more evenly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4
I have a 55gpm pump on the diesel and it only draws 70 or 80 watts.
That's less than I thought, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."