View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #68 (permalink)
Slow_s10
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Something I always hate to see are trucks (especially classic trucks) that have gaudy low profile wheels/tires and lower them down to the ground. Thats not a truck. Why did you buy a truck when you really want a car/elcamino/ranchero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
+1 on the 90s S10s 1 inch from the ground, with a bumper sticker saying "no fat chicks, will scrape." Clearly they have grown up from hanging out at the mall all day, as they can't make it over speed bumps.

And clearly they all have enough money for custom insurance, and secondary vehicles for winter. Especially since a samd bag or two will make them scrape.
Thanks guys, I'm really feeling the love over here.

I don't even know where to start with your comments. But I drive a 88 S10 with a significant suspension drop. And before this one I had a 98 s10 that was also dropped. The 98 was a daily driver and for now the 88 is just a work truck.

First off yes it's still a truck, if I had wanted a car I would have bought one. But I didn't I wanted a Mini truck so that's what I bought. Both trucks are 4cyl trucks because that's all I needed, and they get better gas mileage than many cars.

Second for normal load hauling lowerd trucks represent a significant improvement over stock height and especially over lifted trucks. Obviously you have never had to lift a washing machine over your head to load it into a truck... I have. I have also hauled tons (literally) of stuff with my trucks and I can just easily step into the bed while carrying the load or I can just lean over the side and place it in the bed. I also dont need a full size truck because I am not dragging around a large trailer or using it to move super heavy loads. And since I don't have any intentions of ever driving it off road even the stock suspension height is already over kill for driving around 99.9% of the time on smooth hard roads. Besides lowering increases the aero of a truck, it looks better, handles better, and is safer as it greatly reduces the risk of rollover in a crash.

Oh and my 98 was my daily driver and I averaged 28mpg while driving like a hamfisted moron. I also happily drove it in the worst weather that we have had in our area and never had a single problem with it. That includes the winter where we got over 14" of snow (aka Snowpocalipse 2010). And I have even easily hauled over 600 lbs of scrap metal with it amongst other things. And yes they clear speed bumps just fine, even loaded.

If you don't like the mini truck look that's fine with me that's your personal preference. Also I know a lot of people do take their trucks to extremes well beyond what I have done even to the point that they are no longer functional as trucks or have greatly reduced functionality. But those make up the minority of the customized truck scene and a good portion of those are show only vehicles. All I am saying is make sure you get your facts straight before you start bashing them across the board.

Oh and as far as having all the money in the world I have less money invested in my 88 s10 including the purchase price than most people probably spend on their car payments for a few months.

Hate away...