Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #61 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Here's a fabulously ugly car that I used to own (I had a '68 with the v4, not an oil burner).

I find that car quite superb myself, I'm loving the low weight and aero that was probably 2-3x as good as the cars available at the same time.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #62 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Sorry Metro! and the owners of these fine vehicles.
A visual fail but the vw and the metro are good cars, the Aztec not so sure.
I actually not dislike the VW Thing. It's definitely far away from beautiful, but a pretty interesting project for a compact SUV
Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I actually not dislike the VW Thing. It's definitely far away from beautiful, but a pretty interesting project for a compact SUV
As soon as the modern-retro thing started happening (new beetle, pt cruiser, etc) I thought, 'wouldn't it be sweet if they brought back the Thing as legit competition for the Wrangler?' - maybe not all the way into live axles or Rubicon territory, but tougher than a Rav4 and with low range in the gearbox...
Old 10-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #64 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
I find that car quite superb myself, I'm loving the low weight and aero that was probably 2-3x as good as the cars available at the same time.
Dunno about the aero, it was probably pretty good considering that the car had a nearly clean underside besides the teardrop shape. I did love the car; 4 on the tree, freewheel, lever shocks in the rear (giving it incredible load capacity), rear facing third row seat, pivoting rolldown front windows, the list goes on and on.

But it was still ugly. Here's another angle.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #65 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
C'mon, that old Saab is not really ugly. It's even quite elegant for such a rustic vehicle.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #66 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like Datsun's BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 10-18-2012, 12:23 AM   #67 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No Surprise!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 10-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #68 (permalink)
Super Lurker!

Rusty - '88 Chevrolet S10 base
90 day: 23.72 mpg (US)

Doc - '08 Honda Civic EX-L
90 day: 29.6 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Something I always hate to see are trucks (especially classic trucks) that have gaudy low profile wheels/tires and lower them down to the ground. Thats not a truck. Why did you buy a truck when you really want a car/elcamino/ranchero?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
+1 on the 90s S10s 1 inch from the ground, with a bumper sticker saying "no fat chicks, will scrape." Clearly they have grown up from hanging out at the mall all day, as they can't make it over speed bumps.

And clearly they all have enough money for custom insurance, and secondary vehicles for winter. Especially since a samd bag or two will make them scrape.
Thanks guys, I'm really feeling the love over here.

I don't even know where to start with your comments. But I drive a 88 S10 with a significant suspension drop. And before this one I had a 98 s10 that was also dropped. The 98 was a daily driver and for now the 88 is just a work truck.

First off yes it's still a truck, if I had wanted a car I would have bought one. But I didn't I wanted a Mini truck so that's what I bought. Both trucks are 4cyl trucks because that's all I needed, and they get better gas mileage than many cars.

Second for normal load hauling lowerd trucks represent a significant improvement over stock height and especially over lifted trucks. Obviously you have never had to lift a washing machine over your head to load it into a truck... I have. I have also hauled tons (literally) of stuff with my trucks and I can just easily step into the bed while carrying the load or I can just lean over the side and place it in the bed. I also dont need a full size truck because I am not dragging around a large trailer or using it to move super heavy loads. And since I don't have any intentions of ever driving it off road even the stock suspension height is already over kill for driving around 99.9% of the time on smooth hard roads. Besides lowering increases the aero of a truck, it looks better, handles better, and is safer as it greatly reduces the risk of rollover in a crash.

Oh and my 98 was my daily driver and I averaged 28mpg while driving like a hamfisted moron. I also happily drove it in the worst weather that we have had in our area and never had a single problem with it. That includes the winter where we got over 14" of snow (aka Snowpocalipse 2010). And I have even easily hauled over 600 lbs of scrap metal with it amongst other things. And yes they clear speed bumps just fine, even loaded.

If you don't like the mini truck look that's fine with me that's your personal preference. Also I know a lot of people do take their trucks to extremes well beyond what I have done even to the point that they are no longer functional as trucks or have greatly reduced functionality. But those make up the minority of the customized truck scene and a good portion of those are show only vehicles. All I am saying is make sure you get your facts straight before you start bashing them across the board.

Oh and as far as having all the money in the world I have less money invested in my 88 s10 including the purchase price than most people probably spend on their car payments for a few months.

Hate away...

Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #69 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_s10 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm really feeling the love over here...
I think those 2 trucks look quite nice myself. I think a more "extreme" drop is what was in mind in the original posts - the ones where putting a sheet of paper in the back would result in a scraped exhaust or sump.

Anyway - I'm going to call this post, Beauty and the Beast. In the early 70s as a thrusting young man you could buy a hot and horny italian coupe or a british sad imitation. Guess which is which.

And for a Brucey Bonus describe the slight issue with the Brit car's wheels which might make them (as zen would have it) not at one with the function of a wheel.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #70 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
But the Brit version comes with a lass, while the Italian original includes a guy behind the wheel. Take your pick...

Anyhow, I can see why you called the british version a sad imitation: I dunno about the inside workings, but they installed the steering wheel on the wrong side. Of course, you'll say that that's one of the few improvements over the original

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Reply  Post New Thread