View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
darcane

Your truck is very similar to mine ('03 4.8L, 2WD ext cab long bed with canopy). Check out my thread in my signature. I built a belly pan, got an ultragauge (highly recommended) and adjusted my driving style, changed wheels, made a grill block and my commuting mileage went from 15mpg to about 20mpg.

I was going to do a Blackbear efficiency tune, e-fan, and cover the gaps outside the framerails under the cab/bed. In the end, it still cost too much to drive and now I have a Civic.

The front sheetmetal of your truck is the same as the 00-06 Tahoe. Look into getting the air dam from a 00-06 (not sure exactly what years had them) Tahoe for a clean, factory look that is effective. My wife's '05 2WD Tahoe with a 4.8L will average 25mpg highway whereas my truck will only do about 21. Part of that is the air dam, part of it is the electric fan, part of it is gearing, and probably some aero. E-fan on these trucks consistently show small mpg improvements.

Good luck, but don't expect miracles. It's still going to be expensive to drive.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods

Last edited by darcane; 10-25-2012 at 01:47 PM..