View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
serialk11r
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
You mentioned engine air flow earlier.

You can run radiator hoses to wherever you need, the rad doesn't have to be right by the engine. That might free up some of the decision process. However for a FE car, remember a long hose run will increase total coolant capacity slightly so warmup time will be slightly longer.

I've seen mid or rear engine performance cars in the lot at work with the radiator in the front. Sorry, can't recall if they were Porsches or Lotus. In nice weather, we often have several of both in the lot! An odd perk of working where jet engines are designed built, more than one employee is seriously interested in speed for some odd reason.
I feel like the coolant capacity thing is not that big of a deal, as car radiators are pretty big in the first place.

But yes it's typical for mid engine/rear engine cars to stick a radiator in the front. I actually can't think of a car that doesn't do that, although I might be derping. MR2s have the radiator in the front. Some supercars with additional cooling requirements might have radiators sitting in the back as well. Space in the back is precious.

Oh what do you know, the McLaren MP4-12C ONLY has radiators in the back, to save piping. I think that's what those divided inlets are for, the inner ones turn air into the radiators.