View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 01:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
turbovr41991
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I don't really think I need instruction
You learn how to drive on old inefficient cars and expect the same techniques to be just as useful on today’s vehicles. That is just not the case. To make matters worse, the changes made in cars today really is not advertized.

I saw an HX for sale the other day on craigslist and the guy said “it runs great but had a slight miss at highway speeds." The miss would go away though when he floored it. He listed off loads of parts that swapped out trying to fix the “issue” but he and his mechanic could not figure it out. I told him it was the lean burn feature and explained how it worked and he was shocked. He started sighting examples of how it worked and felt and started putting all the pieces together. Suddenly he realized his car was fine and it was MEANT to “miss” at high speeds. Crazy…

I found myself guilty of this. When I first joined this forum I was “all about” gas mileage, but when I exited off the highway or came to a stop from high speeds, I always coasted to a stop. Little did I know, there was a thing called DFCO (deceleration fuel cut off). This little trick goes against everything I had every learned and I would have NEVER discovered without someone pointing it out to me over and over again until I understood what it really was. It was my own stubborn mindset that did not allow me to embrace this new technology.

Last edited by turbovr41991; 10-31-2012 at 08:13 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turbovr41991 For This Useful Post:
ECONORAM (11-29-2012), wmjinman (10-31-2012)