View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #77 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
When people start testing acetone it's because they are trying to save gas in the first place that's why they are looking into. This with changing all kinds of things on the car and driver. I don't think any additive can be tested tank to tank.
Well not always. At least with me and Im sure many others, the easy and free stuff is already done first. Slow down, keep it in high gear whenever possible, keep tire pressure up.... things like that. Why spend money on acetone or mods if you havent even done the free stuff?

I did try acetone for awhile about 3 years ago. I used a gallon can of acetone from Home Depot. In the 90 Lumina van (3.1 TBI, 3 speed auto) we had, I got 28 mpg with it when before the best I could get was 25 highway pretty much all the time. Still better than the 18/23 it was rated for. It had to be done just right to work too. The acetone had to go in before the gas, so you had to make an educated guess as to how much gas it would take for the 3oz/10 gal mix. What I would do was use a long tranny fluid funnel in the gas fill neck. Then stick a turkey baster in the can, suck up the right amount, put my finger on the end, and bring it over to the funnel. Had to be careful to not get it on the paint because acetone is a great paint remover. Then after Id leave Id have to run with the windows down because the fumes from the baster and funnel would be overwhelming. It really was a pain in the butt. Later on I read about people using premeasured amounts in baby food jars, that would have been a cleaner setup. Eventually we sold the van to the wifes sister, and I picked up the 92 Trans Sport because the 3800 would tow the trailer. I do miss the old van, it got better mileage and was easier to work on despite the fact it had a hard time even towing an empty trailer. Also, one time I used acetone in the old van and didnt tell the wife. She said it felt like it had more power, so theres an unbiased opinion.

Anyway, I also tried acetone in my Celebrity. And not a lick of difference in mileage. Which goes along with something I read about acetone. Supposedly it works better in engines that are less efficient to start with, like carbureted and TBI systems. The MPFI in the Celebrity is already more efficient than TBI.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver