Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #71 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
I think the issue here is the use of the word "test". It's not really a "test".

I don't object to trying anything.

But I do have a problem with declaring results about something for which there is dubious scientific support in the absense of any genuine effort/ability to control for significant external variables.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SlowZoom - '98 Mazda 626 DX
Last 3: 31.36 mpg (US)

Das Tank - '00 Dodge Carvan Base
I'll be trying this one.
AC and PS Delete
17x7 Drag DR 19 wheels ( I know )
Hankook z rated tires ( again, I know

Future plans: Mazda miata 14'' BBS wheels
Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #73 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
The problem is there is no scientific test possible, even doing a b a testing would be inconclusive due to weather and traffic variations.

The only test I can think of is running a small engine on 1 gallon of gas for x time, then add Acetone and see if the same engine runs for a longer or shorter amount of time. It would have to be a stand mounted engine with identical temperature conditions for all tests and then maybe some of you might agree that it works or doesn't.

Are their any other tests that we can do that will eliminate variables?

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Deleted - '1 POS POS V6
90 day: 16.52 mpg (US)

lifted 4x4 Taco - '01 Toyota Tacoma V6
90 day: 17.73 mpg (US)
I think the 4runner experiment is pretty good since the driver has no knowledge of acetone and wont try to influence the test.

I'll be experimenting it on the 250 mile drive home this Friday. I've usually gotten between 18.75-19.50 on this drive. I'll be driving it the same as before, 60 mph with cruise control. I'll only rely on the vacuum gauge in this one hilly area near Salinas, which I have always done. The temperature and weather conditions should be the same as my previous trips.

Im just wondering what kind of ratio should i try. 1oz. per 10 gallons OR 1mL per gallon?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Blue - '77 Chevy P/U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Bowl View Post
I think the 4runner experiment is pretty good since the driver has no knowledge of acetone and wont try to influence the test.

I'll be experimenting it on the 250 mile drive home this Friday. I've usually gotten between 18.75-19.50 on this drive. I'll be driving it the same as before, 60 mph with cruise control. I'll only rely on the vacuum gauge in this one hilly area near Salinas, which I have always done. The temperature and weather conditions should be the same as my previous trips.

Im just wondering what kind of ratio should i try. 1oz. per 10 gallons OR 1mL per gallon?
on the last fill (350 4bbl p.u) i added 3oz to 20 gal. mainly to clean the carb and valves some
Old 06-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Hulk - '96 Ford Aspire Base
90 day: 51.64 mpg (US)

Black Hole - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 39.16 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to steensn
If there is "no scientific test" without any other variables, then you can't claim it either way, IMO. You can't sayit doesn't, you can't say it does work, from a scientific standpoint because you cannot prove it. What you can do though is come to a very "good" conclusion by setting up the test to minimize the variables in the test.

I think that trikkonceptz did a very good job of trying to eliminate these vairables. You can eliminate the variables in one of two ways, keep them constant in all test by driving under the same conditions.. OR you can drive through all the conditions and keep a good record of the variables to link them back to the data.

The sheer number of miles and fill-ups on the car is a great indicator that volume data can overcome the variable issue. 5 tanks is pretty good, but I wold like to see basic conditions. Average speed seemed to be a good indication of traffic, but what about the wind? I think the data taken can be used to stamp it as "plausable," but not diffinitive.

2006 Kia Rio

1996 Ford Aspire
Old 06-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #77 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
When people start testing acetone it's because they are trying to save gas in the first place that's why they are looking into. This with changing all kinds of things on the car and driver. I don't think any additive can be tested tank to tank.
Well not always. At least with me and Im sure many others, the easy and free stuff is already done first. Slow down, keep it in high gear whenever possible, keep tire pressure up.... things like that. Why spend money on acetone or mods if you havent even done the free stuff?

I did try acetone for awhile about 3 years ago. I used a gallon can of acetone from Home Depot. In the 90 Lumina van (3.1 TBI, 3 speed auto) we had, I got 28 mpg with it when before the best I could get was 25 highway pretty much all the time. Still better than the 18/23 it was rated for. It had to be done just right to work too. The acetone had to go in before the gas, so you had to make an educated guess as to how much gas it would take for the 3oz/10 gal mix. What I would do was use a long tranny fluid funnel in the gas fill neck. Then stick a turkey baster in the can, suck up the right amount, put my finger on the end, and bring it over to the funnel. Had to be careful to not get it on the paint because acetone is a great paint remover. Then after Id leave Id have to run with the windows down because the fumes from the baster and funnel would be overwhelming. It really was a pain in the butt. Later on I read about people using premeasured amounts in baby food jars, that would have been a cleaner setup. Eventually we sold the van to the wifes sister, and I picked up the 92 Trans Sport because the 3800 would tow the trailer. I do miss the old van, it got better mileage and was easier to work on despite the fact it had a hard time even towing an empty trailer. Also, one time I used acetone in the old van and didnt tell the wife. She said it felt like it had more power, so theres an unbiased opinion.

Anyway, I also tried acetone in my Celebrity. And not a lick of difference in mileage. Which goes along with something I read about acetone. Supposedly it works better in engines that are less efficient to start with, like carbureted and TBI systems. The MPFI in the Celebrity is already more efficient than TBI.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 PM   #78 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
Well not always. At least with me and Im sure many others, the easy and free stuff is already done first. Slow down, keep it in high gear whenever possible, keep tire pressure up.... things like that. Why spend money on acetone or mods if you havent even done the free stuff?
What I was trying to say was that it not the first but you have starting on to the path of trying to increase mileage. Playing the game is something you get better at everyday. So unless you have topped out and can not go any futher then adding the stuff while you are still evolving skews the results.

I've tried this in 5 different cars(4-8 cylinders) with 2 blind test and a mower with amount from 1-3 oz/10 gallons with no luck. I'm glad it's working for some of you but I just don't see the science or data in it and I think the hit and miss on improvement is a pretty good indication.

So I'm just going to fade away now because my head hurts.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
Legend in my own mind

Evil Pumpkin - '08 Scion xD RS 1.0 #1633
90 day: 35.45 mpg (US)

Silent Silver Killer - '10 Honda Insight EX
90 day: 51.5 mpg (US)
Now with the Vibe I was cautious and did 1mL per gallon or 10mL per tank usually. I saw a jump in mileage and my log proves it.

Then I began reading other sites etc ... and saw the 1oz per 10 gallon and thought that was way to much and/ or expected tremendous results for myself. Well 1oz got gains (30mL), im currently playing with 2 oz and I must say I do not see much improvement, yet ...

However I'm thinking that some one messed up the conversion somewhere along the way ... Because I am getting better results with 1oz - 30mL than 2oz - 60mL

So at least with my adaptations my Vibe saw the best gains on 1oz per 10 gallon and the same holds true with the xB we tried it on it saw the best numbers with 1oz per 10 gallons. I wont even waste 3oz per 10 gallon, because I am sure the results will get worse, unscientifically ... lol

I am a precisional instrument of speed and aeromatics
If your knees bent in the opposite direction......what would a chair look like???

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Deleted - '1 POS POS V6
90 day: 16.52 mpg (US)

lifted 4x4 Taco - '01 Toyota Tacoma V6
90 day: 17.73 mpg (US)
So did you get the final results of the 4runner? The anticipation is killing me.

Reply  Post New Thread