View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Welcome to the finicky but rewarding world of HX!

For your after work commute, check engine coolant temp (ECT). With a "stock" tstat mine settled in at 182 deg F after just a few minutes or miles on highway. On local roads with lots of EOC, I've covered 6-8 miles and still not get above 160-ish. If yours doesn't warm up promptly that would hurt you.

I like the 195 deg I get now. Install a partial grill block and pay attention to ECT. Recently I switched to a 180 deg tstat which gives an ECT around 195 deg F, IF there's an appropriate grill block. Appropriate = remove in summer, install in late fall, and always pay attention to ECT on your UltraGauge or ScanGauge.

My HX gave me a lot of frustration (3 years worth) till I started using Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel. Bottle recommends 4 oz per 10 gallons. I use 2 oz per 10 gallons. You might try it at 4/10 gal when you first use it. I and also turborvr1991 both found it improving lean burn behavior over the first few tanks with MMO, and then settled in to pretty stable "good behavior" after a while.

Last edited by brucepick; 11-05-2012 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Clarify