View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Took a day trip to Richmond, actually Mechanicsville (got to love that name) Va. to a couple of antique and flea market malls. 23rd wedding anniversay so the wife was along for the ride.

Today I refilled at 1/2 tank showing on the gauge. Took 8.65 gallons (17 gallon tank) for 252.6 miles, 29.2MPG (EPA 24 highway). About what I expected after some research and just about the same mileage as my 1999 Maxima. Some of that drive was Interstate at close to 70 MPH, which calculates to right at 2500 RPM. (3.45 diff, .79 OD 5th and about 815 revs per mile)

Found out the AC compressor runs even when you are on defrost or floor and dash heat. When I got back from Richmond I noticed water running out from under the truck, and a little investigation showed it to be condensation from the AC. Thats ludicrous when it's 55 degrees outside, so I unplugged the compressor at the diode and tossed the diode in the glove box so I can hook it up later when I might actually need AC. You would think Ford would do something about running the AC when you don't need it. I know the AC defrosts the windows really fast but running a compressor all winter seems to be really stupid, at least to me it does. Put a freaking switch on it so I can turn that sucker off!

ps2fixer;
I think I found out where your brake line rusted out. There was a big clod of dirt on top of the left frame rail right about where your feet are when driving, where the fuel filter is underneath. I used a screwdriver and my pressure washer to blast the dirt out of there. Maybe your advice can save me some money in the future, thanks a lot.
The truck also had 15W40 oil used on the last change, manual calls for 5W30. Since the oil has over 3k miles on it I will probably change it very soon, maybe tomorrow when I put the blower motor resistor in and clean up the blower motor and squirrel cage and the heater housing and AC condenser, all of which are accessible from the engine compartment.

After some shopping I think I am going to use electrical conduit for the frame on my custom bed cap. I still need to see what the plastic panels will cost.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-06-2012)