View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Spent 6 hours today welding and fabricating the frame for my aero cap. Used Home Depot electrical conduit, $2 per 10 feet. Total cost of materials including brackets was $21.90. Welder, materials, and shop use was free, since I gave them the welder after it sat in my garage for 6 years. Still have 1/3rd of the conduit left so far.

I was all excited about posting some photos until I got home and remembered the wife took my camera with her on a weekend vacation with her two daughters. Oh well, I'll get some tomorrow afternoon.

I think I am going to hinge it on the side, which allows me to mount the hinges to the side rail of the bed, and it will be easy to take off if I need to haul something that is too tall to fit under the cap. It will also mean less work fabricating hinges and a mounting setup behind the cab The whole thing will not weigh very much but have plenty of strength for it's purpose. Everything will be welded together except the hinges, so they can be removed quickly. Even the skin will have no mechanical fasteners, just urethane windshield adhesive which is a structural component and immensely strong. Just glue the panels in place like an auto glass.

regards
Mech
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-10-2012), BamZipPow (11-10-2012), ECONORAM (01-01-2013), slowmover (11-11-2012)