View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Rolling warm-up

What I'm trying to determine is the engine-on coast warm-up. (I don't use any heat until TC lockup)

Example:
From my workplace (no EBH), I can coast down a long hill for about 2 minutes before needing to go up another steep hill, down another one to a light and onto the highway.

I've tried a few things in the Winter -- latest temps are 10-20F.
  • The car's is in high-idle, so I force 2nd gear and let 2000 RPM keep things moving, then...
  • Coast down the hill in neutral, engine-on, or
  • Nearly the same speeds are attained with "D" selected, and just let 'er go to the light/corner at the bottom

Temps have varied this week, but theoretically, which would provide the best heating action? The coolant is too cold for decel injection cut, so it might only help the transmission warm up a bit from friction ???

Then at long lights, I shut it off and wait. No sense in futile idling.

My biggest concern is to get up to the highest temp before I have to get on the highway, which is about 7-10 minutes of driving (typically takes 15 minutes of stop-and-go city driving or 15-20 minutes of near-immediate highway driving to warm up in sub 30's). Even with the grille block, the engine seems to cool itself better at higher RPMs (I observed the same in the Summer).

There's a second route that requires lots of stop-and-go, but heats things up rapidly. With some consistent temps, I'll have to log outputs to see if driving on the highway cold or taking the time to heat up, is most beneficial.

RH77

_
_