View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #505 (permalink)
3-Wheeler
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jime57 View Post
Can you convey some sense of what loads you are using during the acceleration phase? Light, moderate, rather heavy? Do you have a load indicator? I can't remember what you have said about loads, if anything.

BSFC charts for "conventional" cars usually indicate the most "efficient" torque, in terms of fuel used, at rather high loads. I haven't done enough experimental work to know that the therory works out on an insight where one could accelerate at very light loads in 3rd and still have lean burn.
Jim,

Sorry I just now saw your post. Whoops.

Yes, when accelerating, I have the throttle at least half way down. According to the ScanGauge, the LOD is 95 or so.

I have gotten very low mileage when accelerating very slowly, such as trying to stay in lean burn.

In other words, if I accelerate using lean-burn, my engine off coasting yields basically the same results as if I were simply driving with the engine on and no coasting.

We had a University student working with us this summer, and he is directly involved in their high-mileage college entry. He went on to say that they employ a small Briggs engine, and the throttle is wide open until they get to their desired speed, where upon it is immediately shut off. Lower pumping losses in the engine that way.

Jim.

Last edited by 3-Wheeler; 11-25-2012 at 03:16 PM..