View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #46 (permalink)
BarelyAWake
EcoModding Apprentice

I'm defo out of synch w/this project, I've forgotten me numbers and just how nit picky all the measurements really are, that I need to check to be sure no matter what I seemed to remember. I just spent the better part of the morning repacking the battery & shrink wrapping, a simple task made slightly tedious by the fact I've just a pencil torch, lacking the heat gun I should have for such - no matter, it jus' takes a lil longer is all...

...only to find the silly thing was 1/2" too tall, hitting the seat before it could recline fully - so I had to cut it all back apart again and pray I could figure a way to reconfigure the cells to fit. I knew I could separate it into two separate packs and mount them one per side as the 48v packs were if all else failed - but one of the gains of using this smaller 36v pack is I can use one tray for the battery & the other for assorted electronics & the controller, which fits so well it gets a lil stuck actually heh

So here we go the exacto knife again, cuttin' up my pretty shrink wrap job... not so pretty actually so it's just as well, I need the practice. After separating the cells, removing the center retainer & ever so gently bending the pack in half as not to break the cell's tabs I find I'm within 1/8" if I move the BMS to the side instead of what is now the top!

YAY! (lil dance) Obv I'm relieved - if I couldn't make all the cells fit on one side, I'd hafta find a place for the new controller and that isn't something I wanted to contemplate as I'm fighting for fractions of an inch for every component on this thing, the new controller isn't exactly small either. I'm very glad I made these trays big enough to fit SLAs as gives me a lil wiggle room for the different LiFePO4 combinations I had no idea I'd be experimenting with lol

Now that I know they'll fit, I just need to swap out the connectors & rewire to match my harness, then shrink wrap it again;

The Following User Says Thank You to BarelyAWake For This Useful Post:
HHOTDI (11-30-2012)