View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
adam728
EcoModding Apprentice

Mazda3 - '08 Mazda 3 S
90 day: 29.65 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '13 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 46.16 mpg (US)

Wife's - '12 GMC Terrain SLE-2
The importance of a good tire gauge!

I hyperinflated without even knowing it.

Stopped at a gas station about 2 weeks ago about 1/2 mile from where I was working (so tires were almost completely cold). Their fill chuck looked like this

It's the kind where the psi slider comes out when you release the fill lever.

Oil change place had put my tires back down to 35 psi, I was going to put them back to 42 psi (44 max on sidewall). I filled one tire and double checked with my personal gauge. Mine read 42, their read 41 psi. Close enough for me.

At this point someone else came up waiting for air, so I filled the other 3 quickly just using the gauge on the pump.

Oil change place checked em today. Wow. That slider must have been sticking or something. 1 tire had 39 psi, not bad. One was 60 psi! The other 2 were in the low 50's.

Now I am paranoid and will probably carry around 5 different gauges to verify tire pressure with all of them! I just wanted to put this out as a heads up not to make the same mistake I did. My gauges correlated on the 1st tire, but I should have double checked each one. 60 freaking psi! Of course, who knows how many times that air chuck had been ran over by cars, beaten against the pavement, and whatever. I feel stupid for believing what it told me now.